In the heart of Spain lies the capital, Madrid. It's fusion of cultures from the times of the Romans, Visigoths and Franks that inhabited ancient Spain to the more recent Moors and the present day Catholicism, creates an intriguing blend of what Spaniards consider their patrimonio (heritage).
Here I visited a UMiami friend, Daniela, and stayed with her near the city center. During the days I was left to meander through the streets of Madrid and wander through the mini streets and alleyways, "calletitas". After her classes we usually eat tapas to fill ourselves up for dinner.
During the walking tours of the city, I had the chance to see many of the old sites that I've seen a year ago on my visit to Madrid as well as seeing a few new things that I missed out on.
Such as the oldest restaurant in history:
The best chocolateria in Madrid, which is known for their world renowned churros y chocolate:
Raspberry Beer with a Mexican-Gallego fusion meal:
Changing of the Guards at the Royal Palace (a procession that takes 3hours):
On Friday we went to Cardomomo and watched professional Flamenco. Although we paid a stiff fee of 28euros, the night included a drink and the dancing was worth the money. The intensity of the dancers, singers and those who played the instruments was palpable in the air. Even with seats towards the back, the strong emotion of the dancers was clear to see.
Saturday, we took the train, Renfe, into a nearby city called Toledo to see Andalusian culture. Each of the buildings still held onto its Moorish heritage, as it once was the capital of the Moorish empire. Here, brown cobble stones lined the walls of the buildings as well as the pavements and roads. After seeing the Alcazar, the Moorish palace, Museum of the Army, various Cathedrals and the synagogues, it was clear that the city was alive with its rich history. It was wonderful to get lost in the tiny streets and wander until another fountain, statue or building rife with Moorish architecture came along the way to enlighten and amaze.
Monday, I had a chance to see a friend from high school who was studying abroad in Madrid. We caught up at a Tapas bar right near Retiro Park over a drink and tapas gratis. After walking by the park after the tapas, we ended the night early for the Spaniards' perspective at 11pm.
It was a relaxing week where I appreciated the gastronomy of Spain through their culinary delights, saw the unique history of Spain, caught up with friends and rekindled my love for Espana. Now, I begin my trek into the unknown and visit the cities in Europe that I have neither been nor speak the native language. It will be a six week adventure to the big cities of Europe!
No comments:
Post a Comment